Author: Minimalist Baker
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 cloves yield ~1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste (ensure vegan friendly)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry red lentils (thoroughly rinsed in cold water + drained)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (plus more to taste)
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Cooked brown rice (I love this method)
- Pita or naan (omit if gluten free // check for vegan friendliness)
- Pickled red onion*
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Thoroughly rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer and set aside. If serving with brown rice, cook at this time using this method from Saveur.
- Heat a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, garlic, ginger, and carrots. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add curry paste and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato paste, vegetable broth, water and stir to combine. Then add lentils, coconut sugar, turmeric, and stir.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat slightly to low (or medium-low), and gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir frequently to incorporate flavors, and add more vegetable broth as needed if the mixture becomes too thick.
- An optional (but recommended) step: stir in coconut milk for additional creaminess, and to balance the heat of the curry paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more turmeric for depth of flavor, coconut sugar for sweetness/flavor balance, or a pinch of salt for saltiness.
- To serve, divide brown rice (optional) and lentils between 2-3 (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) serving bowls and garnish with cilantro, pickled onions, and pita or naan for dipping (optional).
- Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop, adding water as needed for moisture, or in the microwave.