This salad is perfect for when you’re not in the mood for salad greens but still craving something refreshing and healthy. It’s similar to a Thai papaya salad but made with more accessible ingredients! The prep is minimal, and if you have a mandolin, you’ll be able to put together this salad in a breeze.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
Total time: 17 minutes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 medium jicama
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 lb precooked shrimp
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Remove all seeds and excess string.
- Place cut side down on a plate and microwave for about 7 minutes until the squash is tender and cooked.
- Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove the strands.
- Chop jicama, cucumber, and carrots into long pieces about the same size as the spaghetti squash strands. A mandolin will greatly expedite this step!
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, vinegar, and warm water until sugar dissolves. Add ice cubes to the bowl.
- Add spaghetti squash, jicama, cucumber, and carrots to the liquid mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Squeeze out all of the liquid from the vegetables.
- Top with precooked shrimp and fish sauce (to taste).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and peanuts and enjoy!